Saturday 20 February 2010

WiganCon - 6th May 2000

Since discovering the small press, I'd often read about conventions and gatherings, where like-minded souls got together to talk, have a laugh and drink. I told Alison that the next convention I saw advertised, I would go along to.

It was WiganCon, organised by Andrew & Lisa Busby.

I don't know if you, the reader, have ever had the pleasure of either corresponding with/meeting the Busby's but they are a thoroughly nice couple and great people. Because Wigan is some distance from Kettering, they offered to put us up for the Saturday night and we agreed. On Sunday, we planned to go on to Penrith, where the Piggin centre is (Alison is mad on pigs) and cut back through the Lake District, where we spent our honeymoon.

We arrived in Wigan safely enough and had lunch at the Busby's. Andrew was really nervous, convinced that the day wouldn't be a success. Alison and Lisa were fairly calm - I was also nervous, having never been on anything like this before and never having met another horror writer (apart from, at that point, Andrew).

We drove over to the Orwell Pub and settled in. I had no idea of anyone there - or those who came later - and was introduced to Paul Finch (a fine man and very friendly), Paul Joyce, Graeme Hurry (editor of Kimota), Andy Fairclough (at that time, head honcho of the Masters Of Horror boards) and T23 (the artist) and his mate. In the pub, much ale was quaffed (Celtic Warrior seemed to be a firm favourite) and there were a lot of conversations. Inspired by Andy F's enormous cigar - and the fact that Andy B had given me a cigar back at his house - I began smoking (Alison and I gave up, at the same time, in 1998). I told her that I would just smoke at conventions and, thankfully, I've kept to that since.

After a while, we walked into Wigan town centre to a Wetherspoons pub and had dinner. Following that, we trooped back to the Busby house and sat, in the dark, watching "The Blair Witch Project" - a film that divided opinion in the living room.
I had a great time, met some really good people and I, for one, can't wait for WiganCon 2. The turnout for this one wasn't enormous (which disappointed Andy B), so if you're reading this, go to WiganCon 2. Okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment