Saturday 20 February 2010

FantasyCon 29 - Walsall, Birmingham - 1st October 2005

also the launch of In The Rain With The Dead - for the full report on that, click here

The last time I went to a FantasyCon was in 2000, when it was held in the centre of Birmingham. This was a little more difficult to find and further up the M6, but I was really looking forward to it (and incredibly nervous at the same time) as my novel
In The Rain With The Dead was being launched there.

We arrived just after midday, having had a good journey up on the M6 Toll Road (is it worth £3.50? Yes, probably). Once we got signed in (excellent goody bag and T-shirt), we went to see Chris and I got my first look at the book. Now I realise that I’m biased but bloody hell, it looks good. As Alison said, it has a good chunky feel to it, the text inside looks clean and precise and the cover looks nice and glossy and dark. I was really taken with it and stood with it for a while, just looking at it and trying to get it straight in my own head that this was my novel, this was something I’d created, after years of dreaming of being able to. A superb feeling.

We went into the bar to go through the goody bags, get a drink and for me to start signing the signature sheets (which will be inserted into the first 100 copies of the book). Soon enough, Rob Rowntree and Lisa Negus turned up and, as always, it was a real treat to see them. Whilst both are cracking on with their reviews and interviewing, Rob is now moving into pro-sales for his short stories and - considering how supportive he was of me and the novel - that’s great to see.

David Price joined us a little while later, his customarily booming Welsh tones muffled by a sore throat - not that that dampened his friendliness or enthusiasm. I got a picture with him later in the day, since I’ve had one taken with him at every con we’ve both been too!

We had lunch and met up with Paul Kane and Marie O’Regan, with Paul telling us about his latest project, a look at the “Hellraiser” universe multi-media.

Our first panel was a scriptwriting improv session, chaired by Stephen Gallagher with Paul Finch (who we first met at WiganCon, way back in May 2000) and Matthew Holness (the man behind Garth Marenghi). It was a lively session and was the first time that I’ve ever seen the creative process I work through being done aloud, by other people. Great fun and we both enjoyed it.

We stayed in the suite for the next panel, which was Paul Kane interviewing Simon Clark. It was an interesting chat and brought to light some of Simon’s working methods, but what I found intriguing (about both panels) was how people who I would consider to have “made it” are still beset by nerves and setbacks and doubts.

Back in the bar, Paul Finch came over to regale us with tales of working in the TV industry and he was as friendly as when we first met him at WiganCon. After he went to a panel, we sat with Rob, Lisa and Dave and were joined by Paul and Marie, Gail-Nina Anderson and Matthew Holness - not having found Garth Marenghi particularly funny, it was nice to meet its creator, who was friendly and shy, interested in who we were and keen to know about the novel.

The mass book launch took place at 6pm, with Graham Joyce performing a sterling job as the MC, giving a witty and impassioned speech extolling the virtues of the small press as somewhere to nurture talent and explore. Chris’ slot was halfway through and he looked as nervous as I’d felt when I thought I was going to have to do a reading. His anguish was compounded by the fact that the book wasn’t actually there (delivery expected on Wednesday), but he did really well; pointing out Alison and myself and mentioning Matthew and then using the tagline - “a tale of lost love and gut-wrenching terror”. Graham Joyce picked up on that and seemed to like it.

After the launch, I stood at the Pendragon table (Chris had some pre-order forms) and as I tried to take everything in, I realised Ramsey Campbell was standing looking at my book. I didn’t know what to say but, stupidly, opened my mouth. What came out was the cringemaking “it’s very good, you know.” He looked at me, smiled as though he knew I was caught off-guard and said “I’m sure it is.”

After, we sat in the bar to take up the last of the atmosphere and then made our goodbyes to the folks we could see. Both of us had a really good day, it was a superb feeling to be standing in that room whilst my book was being launched and it was brilliant to see everyone again. A wonderful Con, all told.

Marie O'Regan, me, Matthew Holness, Rob Rowntree, Gail-Nina Anderson (seated), Lisa Negus, David Price, Paul Kane

No comments:

Post a Comment